Proudly serving clients for more than 25 years
Attorney Helene Bernstein began her legal career as a prosecutor in New York City’s Administration for Children’s Services, where she prosecuted child abuse and neglect cases. She acted as an advocate for those in need, and continues to do so as a court-appointed representative for children and adults in contested child custody cases in the New York Supreme Court. Additionally, she represents children and adults in the Appellate Division Second Department in the state of New York. She also practices in the state’s Family Court system and is a consultant mediator.
Ms. Bernstein established the Law and Mediation Office of Helene Bernstein, PLLC, a Brooklyn-based law firm, in 1995. She has devoted the last 25 years of her legal career to helping families find customized and comprehensive resolutions to their family law issues in New York City. She understands the nuances of family and matrimonial law and is readily available to help clients as they deal with unfamiliar and stressful life-changing situations. Clients hire Helene as a family law and divorce mediator or collaborative attorney depending upon the circumstances in the matter. Should your case require to be resolved in the court , Ms. Bernstein is a seasoned litigator who is capable of handling your matter through the trial and appellate court systems.
In 2012 , Ms. Bernstein became the Director of Mediation and Parent Coordination for Familykind, Ltd., a nonprofit organization in New York City that assists parents and children with educational programs, workshops, mediation, and parent coordination to ease the pain of separation and divorce. The parent program was certified in 2012 by the New York Office of Court Administration as a certified provider of Parent Education. Currently she serves on the organization’s advisory board.
Working toward positive solutions
A proud mother of twin boys, Ms. Bernstein knows how critical working together as a family can be when trying to resolve disagreements or problems. She encourages clients to participate in mediation or collaborative sessions whenever possible—she has found that such methods often preserve family ties and can be the first step toward building newer, healthier relationships.
Ms. Bernstein dedicates much of her free time to advocating for the rights of special education needs children in the school systems in Westfield. Helene was co-chair of the Special Education Committee for five years and remains an active participant in the organization. The council organizes a symposium in March of every year which offers various speakers who present on topics relevant to the general and special education population. The council also raises money every year in order to provide graduating high school seniors with scholarships for college. Ms. Bernstein is a founding member of the Westfield Ant-Bullying Task Force.
Ms. Bernstein tailors her services to fit your needs. She provides assistance to clients in matters relating to:
- New Jersey State Bar, 1987
- Federal Courts of New Jersey, 1987
- New York State Bar, Second Department, 1988
- Southern and Eastern Districts of the State of New York, 1991
- J.D., Brooklyn Law School, 1987
- B.A., State University of New York at Binghamton, 1984
- SUNY Binghamton Pre-Law Society, President, 1983
- Pi Sigma Alpha—National Political Science Honor Society, 1984
- John Jay College – Divorce Mediation – 2013
- Brooklyn Bar Association – Family Court Appeals – 2013
- Seton Hall Law School Family Law Mediation Class, Guest Speaker, 2012, 2011
- New York Council on Divorce Mediation-Co-Chair of Public Awareness Committee, 2007-present
- Interdisciplinary Forum of the City of New York for Mental Health and the Law, 2011-present
- New York State Bar Association: Member, Family Law Section, 1988-present
- Brooklyn Bar Association, 1988-present
- Association of Family & Conciliation Courts, 2006-2010
- Brooklyn Women’s Bar Association, 2008-present
- Co-Council of Public Awareness Committee, 2011-present
- Family and Divorce Mediation Council of Greater New York, 2009-present
- Association of the City of the Bar of New York, 2009-2010
- New Jersey Association of Professional Mediators, 2010-present
- In the Matter of Newman 72 A.D.3d 973
- In the Matter of Game 52 A.D.3d 777
- Gulyamova vs. Abdullaev 53 A.D.3d 489
- In the Matter of Selzekov 57 A.D.3d 679
- In the Matter of Diaz v. Diaz, 97 A.D.3d 747
- Matter of Christina L.N. (Louica J.), 113 A.D.3d 777
- Matter of Darrel W. (Tenika C.), 110 A.D.3d 1088
Articles about Helene:
Contact the Law and Mediation Office of Helene Bernstein, PLLC
Reach out to Helene Bernstein online if you need help getting a divorce, separating from your spouse, dealing with a custody dispute, or handling any other family law issue. She keeps flexible office hours, including evenings and weekends by appointment, and accepts credit cards for payments.
Frequently Asked Questions on Mediation and Family Law
- What is mediation?
- What are the benefits of mediation?
- Do I ever have to go to court during a divorce?
- What if my spouse or former spouse fails to fulfill our mediation agreement?
- How do we pick an amount for child support or maintenance in mediation?
- What is collaborative law?
- What if collaborative divorce attempts fail?
- Can you be my review attorney?
- Can I get a no-fault divorce in New York?
- What are the new changes to New York divorce laws?
- We are considering adopting a child. How do we learn more about this?